When you are presenting a report to your management, a proposal to the committee or changes to your staff they are not hanging on your every word. When you get to the key points - you want them to listen, believe and remember. Use these techniques to give your words impact.
1. Announce, "This is important." Then give the important stuff. Teachers do this by saying, "This will be on the exam." You could state, "This is a million dollar tip."
2. Pause, just before, and after, you say the important stuff. Notice the effect of the pause at the awards night when they say, "May I have the envelope please?"
3. Lower your voice to increase the believability. Practise this, "And in conclusion," (lower your voice) "I am the best one for the job." Then try it in a higher pitched voice and notice the difference.
4. Make them laugh just before, then get serious and deliver the important message. When we laugh we open our minds and are more willing to accept new information.
5. Move before - then stand still while delivering the important stuff. This is especially effective for those who pace or move a lot when they speak.
6. Look your audience in the eye - don't read the important stuff. If you have to read it - then it looks like you don't really know it or believe it.
7. Smile. We believe those who smile at us. We also prefer to listen to speakers who smile at us. We listen with our eyes and our ears.
8. Tell a story of how this lesson was learned or applied. The earliest lessons were stories told by our cave-dwelling ancestors. They were remembered. If only the lecturers of today remembered the wisdom of our ancestors.
9. Repeat it three times during your presentation. If you want it remembered - repeat it and repeat it again.
10. Reinforce the message with images. We retain images better than words. Attach your message to word pictures, visuals and body language.
© George Torok is licensed to present Power Presentations™ by Peter Urs Bender, author of the best seller 'Secrets of Power Presentations'. Torok is co-author of 'Secrets of Power Marketing' and host of the radio show Business in Motion. He delivers seminars across North America on thinking and communication skills. He can be reached at (905) 335-1997 or Coach@Torok.com For more tips visit www.Torok.com and www.SpeechCoachforExecutives.com
Back to Top